Over $37,000 awarded by the Club for bike-related initiatives for 2018, including 50 bike racks in Lancaster City
The Lancaster Bicycle Club has announced the recipients of its annual grant program for 2018. A total of over $37,000 is being donated this year.
Seven different organizations received funds from the club’s 2018 open grant application program. Grants are awarded for bicycling-related projects, advocacy, and/or education. In addition to the open grant applications, the club earmarks grant funds every year for covered bridge maintenance in Lancaster County and supports a scholarship at Harrisburg Area Community College in Lancaster.
Projects supported as part of the 2018 grant program include:
- 50 new bike racks installed across the city of Lancaster (City of Lancaster)
- Bike safety program for 6th grade students (School District of Lancaster)
- Adapted bikes for students with disabilities (School District of Lancaster)
- Bike replacements for Bike Ambassador Program (Lancaster City Alliance)
- Bike transportation rack (East Hempfield Township Police Department)
- Bike repair station in Reservoir Park (The Common Wheel)
- BMX bike course improvements at J. Edward Mack Scout Reservation (Boy Scouts of America: Pennsylvania Dutch Council)
- Bike Equipment for youth members (LifeCycles)
Funds for the grant program come from the club’s annual Lancaster Covered Bridge Classic fundraising bike ride, which is held each August. Register for this year’s ride here: https://lancasterbikeclub.net/cbc
Registration now open for Lancaster Covered Bridge Classic. Register now to receive the Early Bird rate!
This year’s ride is being sponsored by Kreider Dairy Farms. Route options include 15, 31, 62, and 100 miles.
Sunday, August 19, 2018
- $40 online before April 1
- April 1 – June 30: $50
- After July 1: $60
- GROUP SPECIAL: $35 group (10+ riders) discount: email Brian Mitchell for details
Registration will end August 17 or when event reaches capacity.
New this year: Pre-Ride Dinner.
Like to eat, drink, and talk cycling (non riders are welcome to join us)? Join us Saturday August 18th to celebrate the 40th annual Lancaster Covered Bridge Classic with an Italian themed pre-ride dinner at Reology, located in beautiful downtown Lancaster.
Dinner will feature your choice of a main dish, salad, and desert from local caterer Simply From Scratch, Ice Cream from local farm, Kreider Farms, and a cash bar.
Live entertainment from local artist Liz Fulmer.
More details on the pre-ride dinner can be found here.
We need volunteers to make the Covered Bridge ride a success! There are a variety of volunteer opportunities available. All club members are strongly encouraged to volunteer. We also welcome other individuals and groups to join us for a fun day supporting bicycling in Lancaster!
Our grant program for 2018 is now open for submissions! A total of $20,000 will be awarded this year. Grants are awarded for bicycling-related projects, advocacy, and/or education. Grant applicants may include non-profits, schools, and governmental agencies. Applications will be accepted through February 22. The application form is available at https://lancasterbikeclub.net/grant-program.
Funds for our grant program are generated by the annual Lancaster Covered Bridge Classic bike ride.
Please share this with anyone that may be interested.